Monday, January 2, 2012

New year, new jobs, and skirts.

For the last 10 years I have been working in the restaurant industry. Catering, banquet serving, fine dining, casual dining...I've done it all. But no more! I'm retiring from serving. I can't do it anymore, I'm just so sick of asking about the temperature of your burger and wondering what exactly your definition of "extra lemon" is. I love making people happy and giving them a great experience, but the number of people who actually appreciate good service is dwindling by the day. So, I'm done.

I accepted an administrative position with two different companies. One is my dad's financial planning company and the other is my neighbor's carpet cleaning company. The hours are perfect, the pay is fair, and I don't have to worry about spilling anything and ruining my shoes.

So more about this skirt thing. Women (and girls) choose to wear skirts for several reasons:
  1. To dress up/feel pretty
  2. Religious or cultural reasons
  3. Comfort or modesty (the modesty aspect is usually in tune with #2, and obviously I'm not talking about a miniskirt)
My reasons are somewhat of a combination of those three, but probably not in the way you would expect. When I dress up or wear a skirt, I feel pretty good about myself. Taking the time to pick out something to wear, making sure it all goes together and finding shoes to top it off is fun to me. You might prefer a torture chamber over that, but to each her own, right?

From the cultural aspect, I am taking a step back to the days when women were feminine and were 1) okay with it and 2) had a really fun time with their clothing. Even in the war days women managed to scrape together what they could to still look beautiful. In doing this I am in NO WAY advocating misogynistic thoughts that women belong in a skirt, belong in the kitchen, have to wear an apron, or any of that nonsense. Believe me, I love pants. But I want to spend a little time embracing the way that our grandmothers dressed and that was, for the most part, in a skirt. If I could find enough 50's "new look" dresses to last a lifetime, I would be thrilled. For now, my budget and lack of sewing skills dictate that I wear what I have.

As for comfort, I discovered yesterday that floor length skirts are super comfy. And it was swishy and just fun to wear.

So there you have it. Today I'm in a denim pencil skirt, grey textured tights and layered shirts on top: a black 3/4 length sleeve shirt with a fluttery cowl neck grey print shirt over it. And t-strap black flats. :)

Picture to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment