Monday, January 16, 2012

Err...kickboxing?

If your definition of surviving is emerging on two legs, having a pulse, then yes, I survived.

Folks, I didn't sign up for your standard local gym cardio kickboxing class. No, no, I  landed myself in an MMA (mixed martial arts) studio. Learning MMA things. Like how to actually fight another person. And win.

Guess who knew that when she signed up but conveniently forgot and was in for a rude awakening? This girl! And 5 out of the other 7 there. One had no idea what she was in for (poor thing) and the other looked like she did this for a living.

We punched, we kicked, we jumped, we punched and kicked some more, followed by punching and kicking and more jumping and push ups and crunches. My chest hurt within 20 minutes. Actually, it still feels kind of funny. I'm not sure if it's old age or asthma or both. Or maybe I'm just that out of shape.  I hope it gets easier.

That's always my fear, that things will never get any easier. I'm afraid I'll never get the hang of this and it will be hard forever. I'm afraid that the flashbacks and nightmares won't stop, and I'll be dealing with all of this marriage-related mental trauma forever. I want that stuff to go away. Just like I want to get in shape and get the hang of this kickboxing thing.

The class ends in March. My divorce should be final in March.

Some other things that are happening in March:
  • One best friend will have a baby.
  • Another will come home to visit.
  • Another's baby will be 6 months old.
  • Another will celebrate 2 years with her awesome boyfriend.
  • I will be a mere 6 months from turning 30.

Should be a good month. Provided I survive kickboxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment