Monday, April 2, 2012

So Close I Can Taste It...

One year ago today, I received a phone call that would change my life...for the worse. The night of April 2, 2011, I was contentedly watching Yentl with my mother when my phone rang with an unfamiliar number on the caller ID. I answered it because it was a familiar area code, and I thought there was a good chance it was someone that I knew and actually wouldn't mind talking to.

I was wrong.

It was the ex on the other line. The ex he was living with. The ex who, for some reason, felt it necessary to intervene when he was falling to pieces because I wasn't in his life anymore. To spare you the gory details, this phone call resulted in a "reconciliation" that never, EVER should have happened. I lost everything.

I am happy (and almost proud) to say that today has another marker, and that is that I signed my final divorce papers today. I still have to wait for the return of his signatures, and who knows when that will be, but the end is very, very near. The taste of complete freedom is going to be so sweet.

Let's have a few niece-isms to lighten the mood, shall we?

Niece: Can I pet Narnia?
Aunt Bekah: Sure! (Brings cat over)
Niece: Pet her softly!

Ladies and gents, my niece knows how to use adverbs. I'm so proud.

Aunt Bekah: Were you naughty today?
Niece: YEAH!

Niece: (softly) ruff! ruff! ruff!
Aunt Bekah: Are you a puppy?
Niece: Yep! *giggle* ruff! ruff!

The little monster is now doing her whole screechy/giggly/yelly bit...and I just had her on my lap to discover that she smelled like vomit. Why? She gagged herself after drinking milk. Lovely. I made a joke about it, saying to at least do it in the toilet...I got some dirty looks about that. But as a former bulimic, I can tell you that dairy products are pretty gross on the way back up. I hope she found the experience less than pleasureable and never, ever does it again.

Oh, yeah. Here's one more for you. I was playing with her and tried to crawl into her tent. Her response as my rear half didn't make it in quite as planned?

 "Aunt Bekah's so big! It's ok!"

Just what I needed, a reminder from a toddler that I have a big butt.

But it's ok. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment