Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Motivation, Music & Me

My bizzare streak of productivity and motivation continues. Tonight I made dinner, ordered Insanity, showered, dried my hair and cleaned my bathroom, all before 9:30. Very strange. Maybe not for normal people, but since I've proven time and time again that I'm nowhere near normal, this is weird. I almost feel normal. It's kinda nice! But I'm still on my guard and skeptical about whether or not this will stick.

Hmm. I just took a moment to rock out a bit, and when I turned around there was Narnia, staring at me from the corner. Creepy.

To what am I rocking out? "Drumming Song" by none other than Florence + The Machine. It came on Pandora the other day, and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since, thus resulting in the purchase of F+TM's first album "Lungs," and that purchase was the impetus behind the CD post  yesterday. As a whole I believe I prefer "Ceremonials," but "Lungs" has its merits and "Drumming Song" is one of them. So is "Blinding."

In the liner notes of "Ceremonials" is a quote from Florence with which I wholeheartedly agree:

"The music is so euphoric as a way of battling the words. It's like an exorcism, beating it out with drums, shake this demon out, it's so visceral because the melancholy has to be drummed out. I can't let it sit inside me." - Florence Welch

That about sums it up. It's exactly how I feel, perhaps why I identify with her music so much. I wish I had said it. I wish I had written her music. I guess I could write my own songs, but I've lived in fear of doing such a thing for years now, even though I can sing, write music and pen lyrics fairly well. It's the fact that I can not create matching music and lyrics to save my life. Anyway, it's silly of me to even think about it because it'll never happen.

Anyway, I like music that absorbs me. For those few minutes, I become a part of it, losing myself. Complete immersion. Try it: 1) Go here. 2) Close your eyes.

Now you know why I didn't leave the computer until the song was over the other night. Perfection.

And this is what imperfection looks like:


Sweet dreams, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment