Sunday, April 22, 2012

Not Your Average Sunday

It started out normal enough. Got up, got dressed, had breakfast. My niece was coming with us so my mom took a few extra minutes to get her car seat ready, then we packed everyone in the car and were off on our way, a little later than usual, but we didn't miss anything when we got there.

As we settled into our pew, all was well. My niece was having fun singing made up words to the hymns (even when it wasn't time to sing), she was playing with her animal puppets, and overall was behaving rather well - until the first speaker began. This particular speaker was in her later years, and was whispering into a microphone that wasn't even working. The 8 or 9 fussy kids in my general region didn't help things any. I couldn't hear a thing. I had already volunteered to walk the halls with my niece if necessary, and it was soon evident that it would be. We had a grand ole' time. We played the piano (nicely & gently of course), we got a drink of water (from both water fountains, of course), we looked outside at the trees and the grass (when I asked if she knew who made the trees and grass she answered, "daddy?"), and made some new friends in the foyer.

When we heard the intermediate hymn, she wanted to go back to Mama, so we went back to our seats, only for her to not want to sit still or do anything she was told, so my mom took her for a spin. When they came back, I noticed that Niecey didn't climb up on the pew like she normally would. Odd. And then when I tried to drop her off at Nursery (something she always looks forward to), she walked in and then before I knew it, there was this tiny sobbing thing stuck to my legs. Weird. I picked her up and tried to get out of there as fast as possible (stepping on another child in the process) to take her to my mom and try to figure out what the heck was going on.

The timing of this couldn't have been worse. Why? Well, my mother teaches the adult Sunday School class! In hushed tones we scrambled to figure out what we needed to do and decided that my mom should try to take her to Nursery. It didn't work. Nothing worked, we had a screaming/sobbing two year old on our hands. I'm not sure why I'm saying "we." I had a screaming/sobbing two year old on my hands. For the next hour we walked, and we sat on the couch and had a small snack, then we walked some more, all with bouts of hysteria dispersed throughout. I had to carry her the whole time. We thought she hurt her arm; it was all swollen and she wasn't moving her left arm if she could help it.

Baby injuries are like Fight Club. The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about fight club. The first rule of baby injuries? Don't talk about the baby's injury! She'd start crying every time someone asked me what was wrong with her. And then if anyone tried to peek at her little arm by hiking up her sweater sleeve a little, forget it, she was howling.

When my mom was finished with her lesson, we left church early to take her to an urgent care center. It was determined (by a doctor who was not a pediatrician and didn't have the best child bedside manner) that my poor niece had a sprain; this was the product of an overzealous tug on my mom's hand while they were roaming the halls.

It was kind of a rough day. Playing mommy is not my thing.

New dress (Bass), blue suede shoes I've had a while (Candie's),
vintage everything else (bracelet, necklace, earrings & slip)

At least I looked ok doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment