Monday, April 30, 2012

You May Take the Floor in Competition

Those seven words have the ability to make my heart race, my mind clear and my body ready for a fight to the finish. They are the words that begin every colorguard performance. They are the words, depending on your preparation, that kick off your road to either victory or defeat. Regardless of outcome, those words are a drug. They make every practice, every drop of sweat, every injury, every callus and every sore muscle worth it. It's all about the performance. All I need is a flag, a floor and an audience. Nothing else matters.

Yesterday I went to a show as a spectator for the first time. I spent almost 7 hours in a high school gym, watching all ages and talent levels ranging from elementary school to Independent World. I relished every last second and drank in my surroundings. The excitement of the performers and the air of self-importance of the instructors was palpable. I wished that I was stretching in the cafeteria, warming up in the rain and doing little pre-show rituals with my teammates. I wished I had crazy show makeup...I would've even loved a crushed velvet uniform.

I miss my spinning days. Yesterday was enough for me to realize that I need to do it again. The last time I marched was in 2005 with an Independent World (IW) guard named Apex. They were based out of Delaware. I loved every minute of it. Apex has since closed its doors, so need to find another guard, but I don't think that will be a problem.

I NEED to spin. That's just the way it is.

PS: If you have no idea what I'm talking about, please check out Winter Guard International and google things like "colorguard" or "winterguard."

No comments:

Post a Comment