Saturday, March 31, 2012

Jerks & Jailbait

I last left you to go to bed for a 5am wakeup call. I managed to not get too distracted after I left the computer and actually fell asleep before 11. Not only that, I actually got up at 5! The night wasn't without the usual awakenings (I hardly sleep through the night anymore), but I didn't feel too badly when I got up. And I was even cheerful when I arrived at my destination. You'd never know that some days I can't get out of bed because I'm so depressed.

Ok, so why did I get up at 5? I was invited to a meeting for a group called BNI. It's a business networking group that works on a local basis to help refer the business of others while receiving that same type of referral. It was pretty neat. Only one type of occupation/profession is in each chapter - for example, in the chapter I visited, there was a lawyer, a painter, a realtor, a graphic designer and a photographer, just to name a few, and there were no duplicates of anything. I really liked the congeniality between everyone and the respect everyone had for everyone else's business. I don't know many lawyers that would level with a tree cutter and treat them as a professional equal. Since I'm looking to start my own event planning business, I was invited to check it out (they don't have an event planner yet haha). The person who invited me does search engine optimization, and from what I can tell, is pretty good at it. Maybe I'm biased because he does work for both of my jobs...regardless, if you're in the market for someone to make your company visible on the internet, check him out: 1st Search Optimization.

That was probably the most exciting thing I did this week. I spent tonight cleaning the church building (with a few others) where a 12 year old boy scout asked me if I brought cupcakes. He had one of my cupcakes once, and now he seems to think I should carry them with me everywhere I go. I guess it's nice to be appreciated, even if your biggest fan is a 12 year old with a sweet tooth. Eh, that's not true. My best friend's little brother-in-law is probably my biggest fan. He's 9. Why is it that I seem to only attract jerks and jailbait?

The answer to half of that question is obvious - I've attracted jerks in the past because I haven't had solid footing in who I am. I've always had terrible self esteem and low self worth. I never believed that my thoughts/feelings/opinions ever meant something and I let people take advantage of that. It wasn't until someone took it all away that I realized how important those things are. I'm finally learning to like myself and I'm working on just being me no matter what others may think. I think that will do wonders for my judgement. At least I hope so. When I met what's-his-face, he was nice and charming and geeky...all good things, but it was such a tightly woven cover of what he really is - abusive, manipulative and controlling - that I'm not sure that even if I was in better shape mentally, that I'd be able to tell that there was something wrong. I just pray that I will never, ever make that kind of mistake again. No really, I actually pray for that. I'm convinced that as I take better care of myself spiritually as well as emotionally and mentally, that I will be able to make better decisions in regards to all facets of my life, not just my relationships.

As for the other half of the question...I really don't know why a 9 year old thinks I'm the best thing since Playstation 3, but it's ok, it's cute.

Nothing very exciting to report in the fashion department today. Except that I bought a pair of orange, t-strap, espadrille wedges. I liked them, but I actually had to be talked into buying them...by my father, of all people. I talked him into going to Kohl's after cleaning the church, and he talked me into buying espadrilles. I guess it's just more motivation for me to get a pedicure already.

Ok, my brain hurts. I'm going to bed. But not until this song is finished.

Now playing : "Bloodstream" by Stateless

No comments:

Post a Comment